2017 Choreography Fellowship
Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre fuses music, dance, and visual art to explore and celebrate contemporary American society. Its professional Dance and Music Ensembles collaborate with one another, with visual artists and designers, and with the people and places of Chicago. The company’s multi-disciplinary performance work is theatrical and thoughtful, vivacious and exuberant.
Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre invites applications for its first-ever Choreography Fellowship in 2017.
Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre co-founder and Artistic Director Wilfredo Rivera will select one promising emerging choreographer to create a new work on the company during 2017 under his guidance and mentorship and in collaboration with the company’s multi-disciplinary artistic ensemble. The work in progress will be showcased through CRDT’s innovative Inside/Out programming.
The 2017 CRDT Dance Fellow will receive a $500 stipend at the completion of the fellowship.
• Applicant must be available for the entire duration of the residency (8 weeks, mutually agreed upon, during March – May 2017).
• Applicant may not have choreographed for a professional dance company OR must have completed his/her first commission on a professional dance company no earlier than 2012.
• Applicant must not have choreographed on Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre in the past.
• Applicant must be able to legally work in the United States for the duration of the residency and must be at least 18 years old as of January 1, 2017.
• DEADLINE for receipt of applications: 11:59 pm January 12th, 2017.
• Submit all application materials as described below within one email message to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be acknowledged.
• As attachments:
o Narrative including all components listed here:
§ Legal first and last name
§ Complete street / mailing address
§ Telephone number
§ Email address
§ Web site, if applicable
§ Artist statement (up to 2,000 characters, including spaces)
§ Proposed project concept (up to 2,000 characters, including spaces)
§ Anticipated impact of this fellowship on the applicant (up to 2,000 characters, including spaces)
o Resume, including education and professional experience
· As hyperlinks:
o Up to 3 links to Vimeo or YouTube videos (no more than 5 minutes in length each) that best represent the applicant as a choreographer / originator of dance work.
§ Videos should be high resolution, and file names should include the year it was filmed, the title of the work and the choreographer’s name if applicable, and indication of the class or organization under / by which it was performed.
§ A 2-3-sentence description of the work and how it is relevant to this application may be included in the video’s description field.
§ All samples must be video of the applicant’s own choreography. This may include improvisation, class work, and / or examples of early iterations of the proposed concept.
§ Preference is for videos that are continuous excerpts of dance performance, rather than “highlight reels” or videos composed of snippets of many pieces.
• Finalists will be notified by January 23rd, 2017, and invited for telephone or in-person interview.
• Fellowship will be awarded on February 10, 2017.
o An artist interested in working in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary setting.
o An artist who has a history and/or demonstrated interest in creating multi-disciplinary work and collaborating with artists of disciplines outside of dance.
o Demonstrated ability to fulfill terms of the fellowship, including plans for residency in Chicagoland during fellowship period.
o An artistic concept which allows for collaboration with other artists as well as with the CRDT Dance Ensemble and community members.
o An artistic concept aligned with CRDT’s mission to explore and celebrate contemporary American society.
• All product created during this residency will be the permanent property of Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre and may be used in future without further compensation or consultation.
• Fellow must agree to use of his/her image, likeness, words, and work by Cerqua Rivera Dance Theatre during and beyond the duration of the fellowship.