At Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, we bring artists, art and audiences together to enrich, engage and change lives through the experience of dance.
The Director of Development (DOD) will have an exciting and rewarding opportunity to chart the next phase of philanthropic growth for Hubbard Street. Reporting to and partnering with the Executive Director (ED), the DOD also works closely with the board of directors to engage in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors leveraging the potential for significant gifts. Responsible for overseeing all aspects of the organization’s fundraising strategy, this individual will also have a proven track record of success in seeking large major gifts and grants and managing new and ongoing relationships with donors.
The DOD will partner with the Director of Marketing to build thoughtful and comprehensive external affairs strategies to strengthen relationships with donors, ticket buyers, families, community members and other individuals who engage with Hubbard Street.
The DOD will be a strategic thinker with the personal experience to strategically build a growing fundraising program and to achieve the goals set forth by the ED and board. The DOD will be results-driven, self-motivated, and relentlessly focused on fundraising goals. They will lead and mentor a four-member development team.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Primary responsibility for creating and implementing an annual fundraising program currently budgeted at $3.4 million, with a special focus on major gifts.
- Provide fiscal oversight and the strategic skill to ensure that revenue goals are met on an annual basis.
- Maintain a personal portfolio of $5000+ donors, cultivating existing donors and soliciting new major gifts for the annual fund, special events, capital projects, and endowment.
- Collaborate with the ED and board to develop and implement long- and short-term fundraising strategies.
- Direct all aspects of donor programs, including stewardship, special events, cultivation, benefits fulfillment, daily donor interaction.
- Mobilize the ED and board to directly engage with top prospects and proactively participate in fundraising activity to reach goals.
- Establish solicitation priorities, manage prospect lists and research, and develop and execute targeted cultivation plans and solicitation strategies for a range of prospects.
- Oversee the planning and execution of the Spotlight Ball, Hubbard Street’s primary fundraising event, utilizing strategies to increase revenue year over year.
Departmental Management and Operational Effectiveness:
- Manage and mentor the department staff by setting clear revenue goals and operational expectations, motivating the team, assisting with their professional development, and maintaining the highest level of professionalism.
- Provide leadership to a changing and growing department.
- Assess and refine development practices to ensure maximum efficiency and results
Administration and Oversight:
- Prepare and monitor revenue and expense budgets, provide accurate reporting, analysis and integration of data, and oversee the maintenance and integrity of patron, donor, and prospect records.
- Develop strategic partnerships with the marketing department for supporting annual giving programs, sponsorships, campaigns, special projects, and events, and create customized donor stewardship and recognition opportunities to support expanded fundraising activities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The successful candidate will be a dynamic leader and team player with a successful record directing multi-channel development programs. She/he will be a flexible, collaborative problem-solver who thrives in a dynamic organization. Merging the strategic and tactical, s/he will be able to manage internal and external stakeholder relationships with poise, integrity and commitment. The ability to build consensus, form new relationships and understand personal dynamics will be crucial to success.
- More than seven years of leadership experience in nonprofit fundraising, with a preference for performing arts organization experience.
- A proven track record of measurable success in personally cultivating and soliciting major gifts.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- A team player and thought leader with organizational experience in working across departments.
- Hubbard Street gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Knowledge of Chicago’s arts funding and philanthropic communities preferred.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample, and references to email@example.com (.pdfs only). Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please include DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT in the subject line of your email. Applications reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.