Chicago’s leading presenter of contemporary dance of national and international significance, augmented by an extensive educational and community outreach program. The integration of these programs provides Dance Center students with opportunities to interact and learn from visiting guest artists, and provides opportunities for the involvement of thousands of Chicago-area residents in Dance Center activities.
Since 1974, The Dance Center has gained national recognition as one of the pre-eminent presenters of contemporary dance in the Midwest. The Dance Center remains committed to bringing the best in dance artistry to an ever-expanding Chicago audience. Public programming at The Dance Center includes:
- The presentation of the best international, national and Chicago-based dance artists
- More than 35 performances and approximately 60 educational and community-based activities
- Partnerships with other presenting organizations including: the Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago Dancemakers forum, Old Town School of Folk Music, American Rhythm Center, Hyde Park Art Center, Chicago Humanities Festival, Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts at the University of Chicago, Links Hall and Chicago Public Schools.
The Dance Center is committed to making a significant contribution to Chicago’s cultural vitality. Artists whose work is presented by The Dance Center participate in residency activities, which engage diverse communities in educational and outreach programs.
Through these programs, The Dance Center seeks to:
- Expand the appreciation and understanding of contemporary dance
- Contribute to the health of Chicago communities