The Ensemble Español Spanish Dance Youth Company serves as the pre-professional training program to the organization’s professional company. Founded in 1985 by Dame Libby Komaiko and the late Lillian C. Heminover, executive board member, and Fine Arts coordinator at Frederick Funston School, the training program offers intensive training to serious, young artists in a warm and inviting environment. The Youth Company routinely performs at the American Spanish Dance and Music Festival, at the annual Holiday Concerts and for the Our Chance to Dance Youth Festival as well as performances throughout Chicago and Illinois advancing the mission of the Ensemble Español Spanish Dance Theater which is to preserve, promote, and present the Flamenco, Folkloric, Classical, Escuela Bolera and Contemporary Dance and Music traditions of Spain.
This newly created position will develop the vision for the Youth Company programs, ensuring that this flagship activity if fully integrated into Ensemble Espanol’s wider vision and fits holistically with the artistic mission of the company. This position also manages relationships with partner venues, parents, and participants.
• Oversee the general audition process to select Youth Company participants.
• Monitor the progression of each Youth Dance participant through different dance levels. Guide the participants to become part of Apprenticeship Program as appropriate.
• Oversee the smooth running and artistic integrity of each session, and track participant’s progress.
• Lead and facilitate season planning process incorporating production, artistic and administrative staff.
• Communicate information about the programs under consideration to relevant staff members and departments during season planning and budgeting processes.
• Set the Youth Company class times and rehearsal schedule; facilitate evaluation of classes.
• Work closely with the marketing department to update social media, show posters, and other promotional activities.
• Work alongside Ensemble Español’s Artistic Director, Executive Artistic Director, and Fundraising Department to understand wider company activities and to make links for content and promotional opportunities for each other.
• Plan workshops and actively engage in community outreach activities to foster new partnerships relevant to the work of the Youth Company and Ensemble Español.
• Contract and manage all Youth Company guest artists.
• 3-5 years of experience working creatively with young people.
• Substantial experience as a dance artist, teacher, facilitator.
• Previous training and performance in traditional and contemporary Spanish dance are a plus.
• Experience in supporting artists and leading creative teams to deliver projects.
• Excellent inter-personal skills with the ability to relate to and communicate effectively with a wide range of people.
• The ability to work collaboratively and form effective partnerships internally and externally.
• Experience in working with non-professional dancers and their parents.
• Ability to step in and teach a class if needed.
• Must be energetic and have a self-motivated approach to work.
• Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office Suite, email and calendar programs.
• Bilingual English/Spanish is ideal but not required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• Lift, push, pull, or carry art supplies and furniture weighing up to 40 pounds.
• Walk up and down stairs.
• Bend, twist, reach, stand and/or sit for long periods of time.
To apply please send your resume to email@example.com
The Ensemble Español is an equal opportunity employer, providing opportunities to candidates and employees without regard to race, religion, creed, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, disability unrelated to an individual’s ability to perform adequately, national origin citizenship, ancestry, or any other characteristic protected by law.