The Managing Director of Deeply Rooted Productions (DRP) will partner with the Creative Director to provide leadership and cultivate the artists, staff, Board, and community to realize the organization’s mission, vision, and values. DRP is evolving, and the anticipated changes will require innovation, efficiency, and flexibility of the Managing Director.
ABOUT DEEPLY ROOTED PRODUCTIONS
Deeply Rooted Productions is the umbrella organization to Deeply Rooted Dance
Theater (DRDT) (https://deeplyrooteddancetheater.org/), the newly established Special
Projects Division, and the planned South Side Dance Center.
POSITION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Deeply Rooted Productions (DRP) seeks a Managing Director with demonstrated executive management skills who is a creative, collaborative, and self-reflective leader with a passion for the arts and its transformative power. The Managing Director will be responsible for providing oversight and management of the organization’s day-to-day operations, developing and implementing the strategic plan, and working closely with the Board of Directors to ensure fiscal health. The Managing Director and Creative Director are jointly responsible for realizing DRP’s goals for artistic excellence, diversified and authentic creativity, fiscal viability, arts leadership cultivation, and community and relationship building. Within this partnership, the Managing Director is charged with executing the Creative Director’s artistic vision into initiatives that energize staff, artists, and the community. The Managing Director provides direct oversight to the organization’s finance,
operations, marketing, fundraising, programs, and board relations functions.
Responsibilities and estimated proportion of workload:
Shared Executive Leadership (25%)
- With the Creative Director and the Board, exemplify and actualize the organization’s mission, vision, and values;
- Develop and execute DRP’s strategic plan with personal emphasis on budgeting, fundraising, and operations management;
- With the Creative Director and Board Chair, support the development and effective operations of the Board of Directors;
- Work to grow the Board through Board cultivation and recruitment.
Fundraising, Marketing, and External Relations (40%)
- Provide strategic management over all development initiatives and programs;
- Direct and expand individual donor cultivation as well as institutional fundraising with foundations, corporations, and government agencies;
- Act as organization’s spokesperson when appropriate;
- With the Creative Director and Marketing Manager, ensure consistent branding; develop and execute marketing strategy;
- Create DRP’s annual operating budgets;
- With Finance Director, provide financial analysis and recommendations to guide the organization’s financial decisions;
- Manage financial reporting systems to ensure seamless communication between relevant entities within DRP;
- Communicate financial progress against budget to the Board of Directors;
- Ensure the timely execution of required financial audits and tax filings.
Operations and People Management (25%)
- With Creative Director, foster an organizational culture based on trust, mutuality, patience and flexibility, and excellence;
- Based on best practices, establish organizational infrastructure to support DRP’s growth beyond Deeply Rooted Dance Theater;
- Supervise, coach, and nurture all non-artistic staff;
- Ensure that employment policies are consistent with Illinois labor laws;
- Oversee recruiting, training, coaching, and retention of staff.
Reporting: The Managing Director reports to the Board of Directors and oversees the Operations/Development Manager, Individual Giving Manager, Marketing Manager, Programs Manager, Finance Director, and Executive Assistant.
The ideal candidate will:
- Combine demonstrated business acumen with creative and collaborative leadership;
- Have a successful record in generating philanthropic support from individuals and organizations;
- Have strong interest and experience in nonprofit arts management;
- Be an effective and inspiring communicator;
- Be highly organized;
- Be dedicated to coaching and nurturing emerging arts leaders.
- Minimum of 3 years executive experience in a non-profit arts organization of a similar size;
- Demonstrated experience in budget management, fundraising, and financial reporting;
- Demonstrated track record as an effective supervisor, including nurturing talents, providing actionable feedback, leading by example, and approaching challenges honestly and creatively;
- Experience working with a Board and/or Board committees.
Other desired qualifications:
- Innate love and value for contemporary dance, especially African-American traditions in dance;
- Event planning, production, or high-level project management skills;
- Ability to read and understand lengthy, detailed contracts and negotiate terms;
- Proficiency with Quickbooks, Google Docs, MailChimp, and Salesforce PatronManager.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience for an organization of DRP’s size, the salary ranges from $55K to $63K, with opportunities for growth in subsequent years. This is a full-time position with flexible hours, comp-time, paid vacation, and sick leave.
Application Instructions: Please email your resume and a cover letter to the email in this listing by July 19, 2019. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The search committee intends to make its decision by August 19, with the intent that the new Managing Director will begin employment in September 2019. No phone calls, please. Please send email to email@example.com. DRP will acknowledge receipt of applications via email.
Deeply Rooted Productions is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for employees and applicants.