Hedwig Dances creates, performs, and cultivates contemporary dance theater within communities of audiences, dancers, and artists with the goal of provoking human connection and wonder. To achieve this, Hedwig works in collaboration with prominent artists from a variety of mediums and cultural backgrounds, trains and mentors dance artists, and creates corporeal works of emotional insight and beauty – engaging its communities in a process of artistic creation and reflection.
Founded in 1985 by dance artist Jan Bartoszek, Hedwig Dances is renowned for bold, interdisciplinary collaborations combining poetic choreography with sculptural artifacts, projected images and haunting original music.
Hedwig Dances seeks a highly motivated, experienced, collaborative, entrepreneurial and creative individual as an Operations Team Leader, beginning in early 2024. The individual in this position will be responsible for supporting the mission and programs of Hedwig Dances into its next decade of artistic growth and development.
The Team Leader for Operations will manage office operations; actively participate in sustaining the healthy and active team culture and work environment; and support various daily and weekly operational tasks and projects for both internal and external-facing relationships. As a key member of the planning team, the team leader will have operational oversight in all aspects of the performance season, as well as the company’s annual gala and cultivation events. Participation at all these events is required.
The team leader will be integrally involved in supporting the work of the board of directors, and cultivating relationships with company advisors and donors, and the larger arts community. Further, the individual will collaborate with the Artistic Director in ensuring both contributed and earned income revenue streams are maximized to ensure the greatest support of Hedwig Dances’ programming.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Donor and Board relations – work with the artistic director and communications team leader to spearhead all fundraising efforts and ensure all gifts are registered and acknowledged.
● Manage and implement programs and projects, including the creation of timelines and responsibilities for project deliverables.
● Schedule and attend weekly staff meetings and other meetings as required – both in-person and online.
● Manage Special Events and Front of House (FOH) Operations
o Ticketing, Box Office and FOH personnel
o Customer Relations
● Recruit and Manage Volunteers
● Manage and organize office operations, interweaving hardware, software, people, events and projects.
● A self-starter able to operate both independently and collaboratively, balancing independent judgment and decision making with seeking clarification, collaboration and following existing processes when needed and available.
● 2-year associate degree or higher or equivalent education and experience.
● Two or more years previous on-the-job experience at an operations/office management level.
● Exceptional communication skills - both oral and written.
● Experience with multi-faceted project planning is a plus.
● Keen attention to program and project details while maintaining big picture view of full landscape and timelines.
● Tech savvy with broad experience across multiple platforms and functions, including:
o Advanced proficiency with Apple platform, Microsoft Office and Google Drive required.
o Desktop publishing in support of internal functions and external events (program booklets, announcements, proposals, name tags, etc.)
o Working familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop (sizing and retouching), LightRoom and Acrobat
o Knowledge of Constituent Relationship Management systems – campaign creation, data entry and management, custom reports, targeted e-blasts, etc.
o Familiarity with WordPress website management.
● Bring a customer service mindset to both internal and external relationships, building and nurturing rapport and trust, and placing high value on relational skills.
● Able to think quickly and effectively manage day-to-day projects, tasks, and while prioritizing ongoing assignments.
● A successful track record in sound decision-making and problem solving.
● Understanding of digital record keeping and file organization.
● While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to:
■ Office setting
■ Theater and studio settings
■ Offsite meetings
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the minimum requirements of this position:
● Position regularly requires sitting and standing for long periods of time.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time hybrid position and estimated to require 10-12 hours per week with the expectation that 6-8 hours each week will be spent in the company’s office. Additional hours may be required during peak times. Position requires the ability to participate in donor events and attend performances, including some evenings and weekends. Minimal travel may be required as needed.
Other Duties as Assigned
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This is an hourly paid position and will remain open until the position is filled.
To apply: Please send the following to Contact@HedwigDances.com:
• A cover letter explaining your interest in the position and relevant skills.
• Your Resume – remember to include phone number and email address.
Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis until the position is filled.