Dance in the Parks is a performance company whose mission is to bring free, professional dance performances to new audiences in Chicago's most accessible venues: neighborhood parks. We hope to expose audiences unfamiliar with dance to the art form as well as to local performers and choreographers in a relaxed, casual atmosphere.
2017 is Dance in the Parks' 9th performance season! In partnership with the Chicago Park District and as part of Mayor Emanuel's Night Out in the Parks initiative, Dance in the Parks is able to take professional concert dance out of the traditional theater setting and into neighborhoods that cannot support professional dance. Our 2017 season includes 16 performances in Chicago city parks. Since 2009, we've performed for more than 5,000 Chicagoans. Our artists have worked with top Chicago dance companies and are dedicated to creating quality, professional dance for Chicago's communities.
Dance in the Parks' 2017 season:
- Tuesday, July 11, Ada Park 11250 S Ada St
- Thursday, July 13, Moran Playground Park 5727 S Racine Ave
- Friday, July 14, Calumet Park 9801 S. Avenue G
- Saturday, July 15, Franklin Park 4320 W 15th St
- Tuesday, July 18, Palmer Park 201 # 111th St.
- Thursday, July 20, Athletic Field Park 3546 W Addison St
- Friday, July 21, Shedd Park 3660 W 23rd St
- Saturday, July 22, LaFollette Park 1333 N Laramie Ave
- Tuesday, July 25, Pasteur Park 5825 S Kostner Ave
- Thursday, July 27, Foster Park 1440 W 84th St
- Friday, July 28, Davis Square Park 4430 S Marshfield Ave
- Saturday, July 29, Ping Tom Memorial Park 1700 S Wentworth Ave
- Tuesday, August 1, Jefferson Memorial Park 4822 N Long Ave
- Thursday, August 3, Rutherford Sayre Park 6871 W Belden Ave
- Friday, August 4, Kenwood Community Park 1330 E 50th St.
- Saturday, August 5, Indian Boundary Park 2500 W Lunt Ave
All performances begin at 6 pm.
Dance in the Parks' 9th season includes works by veteran and emerging choreographers Hanna Bricston, Tristan Bruns, Joshua Blake Carter, Suzanne Haag, Erin Kilmurray, Anna Long, Michel Rodriguez Cintra & Owen Scarlett. Our artists have worked with top dance companies in Chicago, including River North Dance Chicago, Giordano Dance Chicago, Visceral Dance Chicago, Lucky Plush Productions, Chicago Repertory Ballet, Inaside Chicago Dance, and Chicago Human Rhythm Project. See our full roster of artists HERE.
In order to showcase local dance opportunities and youth performers, our performances feature youth performance ensembles from the communities surrounding our performance venues. Our 2017 season will include performances by 15 youth ensembles. To see a complete list our Youth Performance Partners, please visit our website.
Dance in the Parks is presented as part of the Chicago Park District’s Night Out in the Parks series, supported by Mayor Rahm Emanuel. Arts programming in neighborhoods across the city advances the goals of the Chicago Park District and the Chicago Cultural Plan. Now in its fifth year, the 2017 Night Out in the Parks series will host over 1,000 cultural events and programs at more than 250 neighborhood parks throughout the city, making community parks a safe haven and hubs of activity. Projects will vary from traditional performances and concerts, to movies, peace rallies, community workshops, nature based programs, dance pieces, festivals, and more. The Chicago Park District has partnered with more than 100 arts and community organizations to expand and produce this successful initiative.