Joel Hall Dancers & Center (JHDC) uses the arts to enrich the lives of its community members through dance performance and education. An authentic embrace and celebration of diversity has always been the hallmark of the JHDC organization, its programming, and its performances. With its dance companies, weekly classes, and multiple outreach programs throughout Chicago, JHDC and its audiences exhibit a rare and varied spectrum of cultural, ethnic, racial, and socio-economic backgrounds.
JHDC targets its outreach programs towards communities that would not otherwise be exposed to the arts, and has proudly remained a welcoming community-based organization that is steadfast in its commitment to diversity and inclusion for over 45 years. JHDC makes dance affordable and accessible to all people in order to “awaken the dancer in everyone's soul.”
Brief Job Description: JHDC currently seeks an Artistic Assistant to support virtual/in-person studio and programmatic work
Application Deadline: Noon on Monday, November 29, 2021
Work Hours: Minimum four (4) hours per week, not to exceed ten (10) hours per week, to be scheduled during weekdays, evenings, and weekends
Status: Independent contractor, part-time
Location: Remote; some on-site meetings/events (as needed)
Position Start Date: Expected December 6, 2021
Reports To: Director of Education & Outreach
Primary Responsibilities: The Artistic Assistant will facilitate online and in-person classroom management for a member of the Joel Hall Dancers & Center team. They will complete programmatic and administrative tasks. This individual will be assigned to a specific member of the JHDC team to assist them in their work.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assist in the setup and running of online dance classes
- Assist in the management of any in-person dance classes
- Provide clerical and administrative support to a JHDC team member
- Participate in a weekly staff meeting (can be virtual)
- Play an active role in the programmatic and administrative life of JHDC
Essential Skills and Requirements
- Access to an Internet connection and a personal computer or device capable of supporting Zoom and remote/online classes
- Familiarity with Zoom
- Familiarity or willingness to learn Zoom integrations (Apiant, etc.)
- Must be self-motivated and organized
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language
- Clear, prompt communication with JHDC team members
- Neat, professional, courteous manner and appearance appropriate for a creative arts organization
- Dependable, regular attendance
Ideal candidates will have
- Familiarity with the Mind Body time management system
- A “can do” attitude and a desire to learn new things
- Love of the arts and passion for the mission, vision, and cause of Joel Hall Dancers & Center
- Excellent customer service skills and a positive attitude toward helping others
- Multilingual skills (please specify language)
- A minimum of two (2) years’ work history
JHDC builds upon its longstanding tenets of diversity and accessibility to provide movers of all backgrounds the same diligent commitment to artistry, curiosity, self-expression and growth. JHDC rejects the idea that high-quality artistic programming should be a privilege; at JHDC, this level of programming is a right. Moreover, this programming is a tool for community building, for fostering creativity, and for having difficult but necessary conversations about how to productively dismantle issues like racism, sexism, transphobia, and homophobia.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To Apply: Please submit a brief cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please have your name and the job title in the subject line. Submissions will be accepted until Noon on Monday, November 29.