Making Space, a choreography forum, provides a unique space where choreographers can create, experiment, and engage in discussion with an audience.
The Making Space Forum is open to any Chicago-area choreographer or dancer who has an inspiration or work they'd like to workshop. Any and all work can be considered for the forum, finished or in-progress; all dance forms are welcome. Works submitted for the showcase will be evaluated by Ballet 5:8 Artistic Director Julianna Slager for display of continuity of thought, use of form, and creativity.
Following the application deadline, choreographers will be notified if their work has been selected for the forum. Choreographers selected are invited to present their work at the Ballet 5:8 studios on Friday, April 28 at 7:00pm. The forum showcase is free and open to the public. Choreographers are responsible to provide their own dancers and conduct their own rehearsals (rehearsal space is available at the Ballet 5:8 studios, but please inquire for availability and rental rates).
At the forum, each choreographer will be asked to provide a personal introduction to their work. After the work is performed, choreographers will return to the stage for a guided Question & Answer segment open to the audience and other choreographers. During this time, audience members are encouraged to share impressions, comments and constructive feedback on the work.
Those interested in participating in the project need to submit a completed application form and application fee no later than Friday, April 7th. Applications contain biographical information about the choreographer and a description/video of the work being proposed (see details below).
- Video: Work sample of the piece to be considered. Rehearsal or performance footage are both acceptable. If the piece is a new work and still being created, please send a previous work sample, along with a short proposal for the new work.
- Length: Works should be no longer than 7 minutes.
- Description: Short description of the work, including the music and composer.
- Bio: Short bio of the choreographer.
- Application Fee: There is a $15 fee to submit your work, the only fee associated with the application and performance. Fees can be submitted via Paypal using the button below, or mailed to Ballet Five Eight NFP, 20517 S. LaGrange Rd., Frankfort, IL 60423 with the choreographer’s name in the memo line.