Dance in the Parks is a performance company whose mission is to bring free, professional dance performances to new audiences in Chicago's most accessible venues: neighborhood parks. We hope to expose audiences unfamiliar with dance to the art form as well as to local performers and choreographers in a relaxed, casual atmosphere.
2018 is Dance in the Parks' 10th performance season! In partnership with the Chicago Park District and as part of Mayor Emanuel's Night Out in the Parks initiative, Dance in the Parks is able to take professional concert dance out of the traditional theater setting and into neighborhoods that cannot support professional dance. Our 2018 season includes 14 performances in Chicago city parks. Since 2009, we've performed for more than 5,000 Chicagoans. Our artists have worked with top Chicago dance companies and are dedicated to creating quality, professional dance for Chicago's communities.
Dance in the Parks' 2018 season:
- July 10 Lakeshore Streeterville 808 N Lake Shore Drive, 60611
- July 11 Kenwood (rainout) Kenwood 1330 E. 50th St. 60615
- July 13 Athletic Field (rainout) Irving Park 3546 W. Addison St. 60618
- July 16 Palmer Park Roseland 201 E. 111th St. 60628
- July 17 Kelvyn Park Hermosa 4438 W. Wrightwood Ave. 60639
- July 18 Durkin Park Ashburn 8445 S. Kolin Ave. 60652
- July 20 Rutherford Sayre Park Montclare 6871 W. Belden Ave. 60707
- July 24 Ellis Park Bronzeville/Douglas 3520 S. Cottage Grove Ave. 60653
- July 25 Paschen (rainout) rogers park 1932 W Lunt, 60626
- July 27 Jefferson Park Jefferson Park 4822 N. Long Ave. 60630
- July 30 Shedd Park South Lawndale 3660 W. 23rd St. 60623
- July 31 Pasteur Park (rain out) West Elsdon 5825 S. Kostner Ave. 60629
- August 1 Davis Square Back of the Yards/new City 4430 S. Marshfield Ave. 60609
- August 3 Ada Park Morgan Park 11250 S Ada St 60643
Dance in the Parks' 10th season includes works by veteran and emerging choreographers Paige Caldarella, Peter Carpenter, Joshua Blake Carter, Becca Lemme, Lizzie MacKenzie, Thomas Mattingly, Mariana Oliveira, and Michel Rodriguez Cintra. Our artists have worked with top dance companies in Chicago, including River North Dance Chicago, Giordano Dance Chicago, Visceral Dance Chicago, Lucky Plush Productions, Chicago Repertory Ballet, Inaside Chicago Dance, and Nomi Dance Company. See our full roster of artists HERE.
In order to showcase local dance opportunities and youth performers, our performances feature youth performance ensembles from the communities surrounding our performance venues. Our 2018 season will include performances by 20 youth ensembles. To see a complete list our Youth Performance Partners, please visit our website.
Dance in the Parks is presented as part of the Chicago Park District’s Night Out in the Parks series, supported by Mayor Rahm Emanuel. Arts programming in neighborhoods across the city advances the goals of the Chicago Park District and the Chicago Cultural Plan. Now in its 6th year, the 2018 Night Out in the Parks series will host over 2,000 cultural events and programs at more than 250 neighborhood parks throughout the city, making community parks a safe haven and hubs of activity. Projects vary from traditional performances and concerts, to peace rallies, community workshops, nature-based programs, dance performances, festivals, site specific projects, and more. The Chicago Park District has partnered with more than 130 arts and community organizations to expand and produce this citywide initiative.