Dance in the Parks is a performance company whose mission is to bring free, professional dance performances to new audiences in Chicago's most accessible venues: neighborhood parks. We hope to expose audiences unfamiliar with dance to the art form as well as to local performers and choreographers in a relaxed, casual atmosphere.
2019 is Dance in the Parks' 11th performance season! In partnership with the Chicago Park District and as part of Mayor Emanuel's Night Out in the Parks initiative, Dance in the Parks is able to take professional concert dance out of the traditional theater setting and into neighborhoods that cannot support professional dance. Our 2019 season includes 14 performances in Chicago city parks. Since 2009, we've performed for more than 10,000 Chicagoans. Our artists have worked with top Chicago dance companies and are dedicated to creating quality, professional dance for Chicago's communities.
Dance in the Parks' 2019 season:
- July 9 - La Villita Park, South Lawndale, 2800 S Sacramento Blvd 60608
- July 10 - Pasteur Park, West Elsdon, 5825 S Kostner Ave 60629
- July 12 - Athletic Field Park, Irving Park, 3546 W Addison St 60618
- July 13 - Ada Park, Morgan Park, 11250 S Ada St 60643
- July 15 - Calumet Park, Eastside, 9801 S Avenue G 60617
- July 16 - Franklin Park, North Lawdale, 4320 W 15th St 60623
- July 17 - Austin Town Hall Park, Austin, 5610 W Lake St 60644
- July 19 - Sherman Park, New City, 1301 W 52nd St 60609
- July 20 - Ping Tom Memorial Park, 1700 S Wentworth Ave 60609
- July 22 - Shabbona Park, 6935 W Addison St 60634
- July 23 - Davis Square Park, 4430 S Marshfield Ave 60609
- July 24 - Jefferson Memorial Park, 4822 N Long Ave 60630
- July 26 - Kenwood Community Park, 1330 E 50th St 60615
- July 27 - Indian Boundary Park 2500 W Lunt Ave 60645
Dance in the Parks' 11th season includes works by veteran and emerging choreographers Paige Caldarella, Joshua Blake Carter, Paige Fraser, Becca Lemme, Craig V. Miller, Ela Olarte, Todd Rhoades, and Jessica Miller Tomlinson. Our artists have worked with top dance companies in Chicago, including Thodos Dance Chicago, Giordano Dance Chicago, Visceral Dance Chicago, Inaside Chicago Dance, Cocodaco Dance Project, and the Lyric Opera of Chicago. See our full roster of artists HERE.
In order to showcase local dance opportunities and youth performers, our performances feature youth performance ensembles from the communities surrounding our performance venues. Our 2019 season will include performances by more than 10 youth ensembles. To see a complete list our Youth Performance Partners, please visit our website.
Dance in the parks is presented as part of the Chicago Park District’s Night Out in the Parks series, supported by the Mayor’s Office and Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events. Arts programming in neighborhoods across the city advances the goals of the Chicago Park District and the Chicago Cultural Plan. Now in its 7th year, the 2019 Night Out in the Parks series will host over 2,000 cultural events and programs at more than 250 neighborhood parks throughout the city, making community parks a safe haven and hubs of activity. Projects vary from traditional performances and concerts, to peace rallies, community workshops, nature-based programs, dance performances, festivals, site specific projects, and more. The Chicago Park District has partnered with more than 140 arts and community organizations to expand and produce this citywide initiative.